Tuesday 16 May 2017

Book Review: The Snowman - J. Nesbo



The Snowman is the 7th book of the Harry Hole serie and the third novel I have read by Nesbo. I normally religiously read series in the chronological order and I think with Nesbo I just read one novel as at a presentation with the author and then this one as I found it in my local second hand bookshop.

And compared to the other two I read - Cockroaches and Police - The Snowman is much better, the plot is complicated and gripping and, even if at about mid novel you guess who the culprit might be, it is never dull till the very end.
Harry Hole is a strange character and I yet have to decide if I like him or not. I generally love dark, out of the scheme detectives, who have issues with rules, drink too much and use "alternative ways" to investigate, and yet Hole is a question mark for me, too cold maybe for my liking or a bit too cocky/macho? I cannot pinpoint my finger on why, but I think I will read another couple of novels from he serie to get at the bottom of it!
I will have to give him that he can solve cases and he is cute in his relationship with his step son. Maybe I don't like how he is with women too much.
Anyhow, The Snowman is about a serie of women (all married with children) that disappear and always on the scene a snowman or traces of is found. Hole - fixated with serial killer after his experience abroad and his studies with the FBI - finds himself investigating into past crimes which might be connected with these disappearances.
I recommend it as very fast pace, very thrilling, never flat or guessable, it will keep you hooked till the very end as every good thriller should do.


Overall rating: 7   Plot: 7.5   Writing style: 7    Cover: 4




Title: The Snowman
Author: Jo Nesbo
Publisher: Vintage Books
Pages: 576
Publication year: 2014

Plot:

The first snow will come.
A young boy wakes to find his mother missing. Their house is empty but outside in the garden he sees his mother's favourite scarf – wrapped around the neck of a snowman.
And then he will appear again.
As Harry Hole and his team begin their investigation they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years.
And when the snow is gone...
When a second woman disappears it seems that Harry's worst suspicions are confirmed: for the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his home turf.
...he will have taken someone else.

The Author:
Jo Nesbo played football for Norway’s premier league team Molde, but his dream of playing professionally for Spurs was dashed when he tore ligaments in his knee at the age of eighteen.  After three years military service he attended business school and formed the band Di derre ('Them There').  Their second album topped the charts in Norway, but he continued working as a financial analyst, crunching numbers during the day and gigging at night.  When commissioned by a publisher to write a memoir about life on the road with his band, he instead came up with the plot for his first Harry Hole crime novel, The Bat.  He is regarded as one of the world’s leading crime writers, with The Leopard, Phantom, Police and The Son all topping the UK bestseller charts, and his novels are published in 48 languages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment