Friday 28 September 2018

Book Review: The forever house - V. Henry


Loved it! Such a warm, cozy, nice, engaging story, set in an idyllic mansion in the Cotswold.
It is a family saga, mainly, split in two generations: one related to the famous writer Maggie and her broad, made of craziness, extravagant parties but also a lot of problems and secrets, and Sally's family in the present day, facing the horrible reality of having to sell their beloved home.
A really enjoyable treat, this novel, one that brings a smile to your face.

Overall rating:  7,5    Plot: 7,5   Writing style: 7,6    Cover:  8


Title: The forever house
Author: Veronica Henry
Publisher: Orion
Pages: 363
Publication year: 2017

The Plot:
Hunter's Moon is the ultimate 'forever' house. Nestled by a river in the Peasebrook valley, it has been the Willoughbys' home for over fifty years, and now estate agent Belinda Baxter is determined to find the perfect family to live there. But the sale of the house unlocks decades of family secrets - and brings Belinda face to face with her own troubled past. . .

The Author:
From the Author's website:
"As an army child, I went to eight different schools, including the Royal School Bath, where I learnt Latin, how to make rock buns and how to take my bra off without getting undressed.  I went on to study Classics at Bristol University, followed by a bi-lingual secretarial course - a surprisingly useful combination.    
I landed a job as Production Secretary on The Archers at Pebble Mill in Birmingham, where it used to take me two and a half hours to type out an Archers script on an Olivetti ET121 typewriter.  Duties ranged from recording the sound of newborn piglets to playing Peaches the barmaid in the Cat and Fiddle.  There was never a dull moment, and The Archers taught me that everyone needs an escape from everyday life.
From there, I became a script editor for Central Television, working on broadcasting legends Crossroads and Boon.  I started a family and became a freelance scriptwriter, writing hundreds of hours of television drama, including Heartbeat and Holby City.  
In 2000 I got my first book deal, and am currently writing my twentieth novel.
I also write lifestyle features for newspapers and magazines, including Woman and Home, Red, The Daily Mail, Woman and The Sunday Times.

I speak regularly at Literary Festivals, libraries, WIs and charity events, talking about my career and the inspiration for my novels."

No comments:

Post a Comment