Monday 25 February 2019

Book Review: A death in the family - K. O. Knausgaard



My struggle - Book 1

I have mixed feelings for this book: it is a memoir, the first in a serie of six, and while I really liked parts of it, very deep and thought provoking, I found other parts very tedious. The interesting thing for me is that it doesn't read like an autobiography, but more like a novel and it builds up to something which doesn't happen though.
I am still unsure if I will try and read the second chapter of the saga or not.

Overall rating:  5   Plot: NA   Writing style: 6   Cover:  6


Title: A death in the family
Author: Karl Ove Knausgaard
Publisher: Vintage Books
Pages: 496
Publication year: 2013


The Plot:
Karl Ove Knausgaard writes with painful honesty about his childhood and teenage years, his infatuation with rock music, his relationship with his loving yet almost invisible mother and his distant and unpredictable father, and his bewilderment and grief on his father's death. When Karl Ove becomes a father himself, he must balance the demands of caring for a young family with his determination to write great literature.

The Author:
Karl Ove KnausgÃ¥rd (b. 1968) made his literary debut in 1998 with the widely acclaimed novel Out of the World, which was a great critical and commercial success and won him, as the first debut novel ever, The Norwegian Critics' Prize. He then went on to write six autobiographical novels, titled My Struggle (Min Kamp), which have become a publication phenomenon in his native Norway as well as the world over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment